Is CBD Use Legal?
Cannabidiol (CBD) has recently become a widely-accepted cannabis-derived product in the health industry and has received a lot of coverage in the media. There has been a massive awareness and sales growth of the product, with leading analysts predicting a whopping value of $22 billion for the CBD market by 2022. As the market grows in size across the United States, the most frequent question about CBD remains its legality.
So Is CBD Use Legal?
The answer to this question will depend on who you ask. However, just as CBD Central rightly put, the best way to answer it is, “Mostly. But….” In other words, CBD can be legal, depending on the location, your understanding of CBD, and several factors such as certain guidelines on CBD usage. Below are each of the factors of CBD’s legalization.
What Is CBD?
CBD is the short term for cannabidiol. Cannabidiol is a type of cannabinoid. Notice that there is a difference between cannabidiol and cannabinoid. Cannabinoids are chemicals naturally found in the marijuana plants known as Cannabis Sativa.
There are over 100 unique cannabinoids in the cannabis plant, cannabidiol (CBD) being one of them. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is another cannabinoid and is the second most prevalent component of cannabinoid. Although these two cannabinoids have the same chemical makeup, each one has its own peculiarities and can be derived separately from the marijuana plant.
The Difference Between CBD and THC
CBD is the compound that has numerous health benefits and positive side effects, including antipsychotic effects and is mostly accepted for treating various conditions. THC, on the other hand, is the compound responsible for the psychoactive effects, which results in a high state of mind. Just like CBD, THC also has numerous health benefits. However, because it induces a high, its use is highly regulated.
Is CBD Legal According to Federal Law?
In December 2018, the Agriculture Improvement Act popularly known as the Farm Bill was passed by the House and Senate and was signed by President Trump. This legalizes the use of CBD according to federal law with serious restrictions. The following are the key highlights of the CBD legality issues.
- The Act removed any hemp-derived product that contains less than 0.3% THC from the list of Controlled Substances.
- A few days after the Bill was passed, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a statement that the selling of the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors marketed as dietary supplements or products for therapeutic benefits is illegal unless it has been reviewed and approved by the FDA. This means that a product may contain the legal amount of THC and be illegal if it is not produced by a licensed producer.
- Your State Law May Say Otherwise: While all the 50 states have laws legalizing CBD, there are varying degrees of restrictions. So you will need to understand the accepted regulations in your state.
CBD Drug Test
If you belong to a certain profession or participate in school or professional sports, you are most likely to undergo a drug test at some point in your career. It is important to be cautious about your CBD-derived product intake.
Just like other cannabinoid compounds, CBD is stored in the body’s fat. It can show up on drug tests even several days or weeks after. Although not all drug tests can recognize CBD, there are certain CBD-sensitive tests.
Will the Result Affect Me?
The good news, however, is that the general test for the presence of marijuana is not really targeted at CBD, but rather THC, which contains psychoactive effects.
This means you have nothing to worry about, provided you use only certified products that contain less than 0.3% THC. However, you will need to be careful about the amount of the product you use. According to CBD Central, if you were using an extremely high dose of CBD, for example, 1,000 mg daily, you may be exposed to around 3 mg of THC per day. This may raise red flags, as the test result for such an amount of dose could be positive for THC even if you were not consuming it.
CBD Health Benefits
CBD has been known for a wide variety of health benefits. The most substantial scientific evidence is its efficacy in treating some highly severe and rare childhood epilepsy syndromes, such as Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS) and Dravet syndrome. CBD contains anti-seizure properties. Apart from this, CBD can do the following:
- Ease symptoms of diabetes
- Help in cancer treatment
- Improve heart health
- Help in treating acne and skin-related problems
- Improve appetite
- Help in treating nausea
- Improve symptoms of multiple sclerosis
- CBD oil can relieve inflammation and pain
- Improve mental health and reduce anxiety. Conditions like generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, pain disorder, phobias, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder may be treated by using CBD-derived products.
Can CBD Help You Quit Smoking?
Smoking is a strong addiction to let go, especially if it is a long-term, formed habit. Thankfully, smokers who wish to quit can benefit from the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors. From early research, strong suggestions have emerged that when inhaling cannabidiol, using an inhaler for one week might help reduce the number of cigarettes taken by around 40% compared to baseline.
Does CBD Have Side Effects?
Additionally, the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors can interact with certain drugs. If you are currently taking prescribed medications or any drugs you suspect might cause interference with CBD, be sure to talk to your doctor about it. Some of the effects you may feel include:
- Dry mouth
- Changes in mood
- Low blood pressure
- Changes in appetite
Many studies have investigated the use of CBD for therapeutic and dietary benefits. So far, the general consensus is that it is very safe.
However, just like any substance that interferes with the normal brain and body system, you cannot completely rule out the possibility of some unwanted reactions, because individuals react to the drug differently. Speak with your doctor to learn more about how you should use CBD to improve your health.
- Is CBD legal?
- Hemp Production and 2018 Farm Bill 07252019
- IS CBD OIL LEGAL?
- Does CBD Oil Really Help Treat Arthritis Pain?
- What Is CBD Oil? Here’s a Complete Guide
- The History of CBD: A Brief Overview
- Cannabidiol (CBD) — what we know and what we don’t
- What is CBD and how does it work?
- CANNABIDIOL (CBD)