How Can CBD Oil Work to Ease Anxiety?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the active ingredients found in the cannabis plant. Although there are many similar ingredients present in cannabis, CBD and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) are the main compounds medical researchers are interested in because of their numerous health effects for various conditions.
Despite these two compounds having the same chemical makeup, CBD does not have psychoactive effects, meaning it does not induce a high like THC causes. For decades, many studies have established the efficacy of CBD oil, and arthritis has been one of the conditions that CBD can help treat. This is because CBD can impact the serotonin levels in the body to relieve symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression.
CBD and Anxiety
The human body has a built-in cell-signaling system that primarily processes cannabinoids. It is a complex system called the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The role of the ECS is to maintain a healthy inner balance by regulating your mood, sleep, appetite, reproduction and fertility, and memory. Whether you take cannabis or not, the endocannabinoid system is present in every human being. There are three attributes of ECS, namely, enzymes, endocannabinoids, and receptors (CB1 receptors and CB2 receptors).
While CB1 receptors can be found throughout the body, many are located in the brain and are associated with cognitive actions. The CB2 receptors are found in the immune system.
CBD and THC impact CB2 receptors and CB1 receptors respectively. This explains their effects on the cognitive and immune systems, which make them responsive to conditions that are related to the brain, including anxiety and depression.
How CBD Oil Work for Anxiety
Mood, appetite, and sleep are the major issues associated with any anxiety disorder. CBD oil helps anxiety sufferers by preventing the breakdown of a certain chemical in the brain receptors which affects mood, pain, and mental function in the body’s response to anxiety. CBD effects in the body can be likened to that of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which are drugs specifically made for depression and anxiety.
With their ability to regulate serotonin in the body to a normal level, CBD-based products can significantly relieve the symptoms of anxiety.
Clinical Studies on the Effects of CBD for Anxiety Treatment
Many studies have been carried out by different researchers to investigate the effectiveness of CBD on anxiety disorders. The CBD research is still in its early stage, which indicates that the available evidence remains insufficient and further studies are required. For instance, some of the studies are generalized on medical marijuana, and not specifically on the cannabidiol. Hence, it is advisable to be specific in your search queries when looking for studies on CBD for anxiety disorders.
Some studies have indicated that cannabis-derived products help with anxiety, while others suggest that there is a risk factor in the use of recreational marijuana. The promising, accessible results of both studies are as follows:
- In 2015, a study based on the analysis of various past studies confirmed that CBD oil is a promising treatment option for different kinds of anxiety, including panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder.
- In 2014, a study that was carried out to investigate the antidepressant anti-anxiety effects of CBD established that CBD was effective in animal models.
- In a study carried out in 2011, it was established that cannabidiol could reduce conditions of generalized social anxiety disorder. The study specifically focused on how cannabidiol could help treat patients with certain anxiety disorders associated with public speaking issues known as social phobia.
- In a 2010 study conducted by a group of researchers conducted a study on generalized social anxiety disorder (SAD), it was indicated that the CBD reduced anxiety in SAD due to its effects on the activity in paralimbic and limbic brain areas. Paralimbic and limbic structures represent the portions of the brain that deal with memories, arousal, and emotions. Cannabidiol not only improved the feelings of the participants but also changed how their brains responded to anxiety.
CBD Dosage for Anxiety
Currently, there are no standardized guidelines on the application of CBD, meaning that you may be required to consult your doctor or health advisor regarding the most acceptable type of the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors for you and the appropriate amount. The right amount of the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors will depend on different factors such as the severity of your condition, your symptoms, the the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors being considered, your body weight, and your age.
Although the FDA has approved the use of CBD as a treatment option for various psychological and medical conditions, you will need to proceed with caution when buying it. The FDA warns against companies marketing cannabidiol as a 100% guaranteed treatment option for severe medical conditions.
Side Effects of CBD
From the available studies, there are no evident adverse effects of CBD oil. However, as in any substance that interferes with the normal brain and body system, you cannot completely rule out the possibility of unwanted reactions, since individuals react to the drug differently. Additionally, CBD supplements have been known to have interaction with certain drugs. If you are currently taking anxiety medications, be sure to talk to your doctor before considering the use of the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors. Some of the effects of the use of such products may include:
- Dry mouth
- Changes in mood
- Low blood pressure
- Changes in appetite
Is CBD Legal?
CBD use is legalized in the United States but with serious restrictions, meaning CBD users could be breaking some federal agencies and state laws without knowing. Although the recently passed Farm Bill has enhanced the cultivation, use, and transfer of hemp-derived products, there are some conditions attached to it. Despite all the 50 states having some laws legalizing marijuana-derived products, there are still varying degrees of restrictions, so check your local regulations to verify.
Due to the natural growth of cannabis plants, many of the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors contain THC, which is illicit according to federal law. If the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors contain more than 0.3% THC, they are considered illegal. Finally, the greatest pharmaceutical CBD products for doctors will still be illegal if the producer does not have approval from the FDA.
- Hemp Production and the 2018 Farm Bill
- The History of CBD: A Brief Overview
- IS CBD OIL LEGAL?
- Can CBD oil help anxiety?
- Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders
- Antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like effects of cannabidiol: a chemical compound of Cannabis sativa.
- How CBD works
- CBD Oil for Anxiety: What you need to know
- Cannabidiol Reduces the Anxiety Induced by Simulated Public Speaking in Treatment-Naïve Social Phobia Patients
- Neural basis of anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol (CBD) in generalized social anxiety disorder: a preliminary report